Beginning with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a&w menu with prices 2020 grew into the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. Along the way it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. 100 many years of history is, well, lots of history. But here’s a good start.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, with the first mug of Root Beer served with a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it was the initial U.S. chain restaurant to expand to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is over the age of sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the Original Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (invented by Dale Murder who became president and is now chairman from the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the excellent Root Bear as the mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California is home to the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of theAndW Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds purchased in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) There are nearly one thousand A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 inside the U.S.
On June 20, A&W took over as the first American restaurant chain to transform 100. The first frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California in a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W has a long history of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration and also the third year it provides partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV aspire to raise $200,000 for the organization, which serves multiple million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided an estimated $6 million in direct good things about veterans.
“Our partnership with AAndW continues to grow annually, and that we truly appreciate its support for our ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs in our American heroes are xagtcr as great today as a century ago, and that we are incredibly glad to again be working with A&W on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised more than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
About AAndW – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, is a&w open today still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water as well as a proprietary mixture of herbs, bark, spices and berries which are served in a frosty mug together with burgers, fries, chicken tenders and other All American Food® favorites. There are nearly one thousand locations worldwide.